Thursday, 19 November 2015

Determining Whether Your Illness or Injuries Need Medical Attention

If you’re feeling under the weather or accidentally hurt yourself, you might be tempted to tough it out and hope you get better on your own. Nobody wants to get to the doctor’s office and be told they overreacted—but on the other hand,if something is really wrong, you don’t want to make it any worse by refusing to seek medical attention. So how do you know when you need medical attention, and when you should just stay home?

One of the most common conundrums is dealing with the cold or flu. These common sicknesses will usually go away on their own in a few days, but in some cases you might have to seek medical attention. A scratchy throat, stuffy nose, or occasional sneeze might be annoying, but it’s nothing to worry about. If you are suffering from an extremely sore throat, a high fever, or a severe cough, you should consider visiting your doctor or an urgent care facility to get help. It’s also a good ideato get help if you can’t drink anything without throwing up. If you are having trouble breathing, can’t stop vomiting, or have an extremely high fever, then you should probably visit an emergency room.

What should you do if you have injured a bone or joint? If you can still move it and the pain dies down quickly, you’re probably all right staying at home with an ice pack. If it becomes swollen, numb, or extremely painful, or if you are unable to move it, you should visit urgent care to determine if you have experienced a sprain or minor fracture. If the bone is obviously broken, you’ll want to go to the ER.

If you have experienced a burn, the severity of the burn will determine whether you need medical attention. A minor first-degree burn will appear red and painful, but can be treated at home over a couple of days. Second degree burns, on the other hand, will usually involve blistering, swelling, and a great deal of pain; you should probably visit urgent care. If the skin is charred, you have a third degree burn. Severe burns like these (or burns that cover a large portion of the body) should be dealt with in the emergency room.

Finally, seek medical care if you experience pain that starts suddenly and has no apparent explanation. In severe cases visit the ER, but for minor ones an urgent care clinic is a good idea. Visit this website to learn more about Illness and Injury Care in San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment